What is Horner Syndrome
Horner’s syndrome is known as oculosympathetic palsy and Bernard-Horner syndrome. Horner syndrome is due to damage of sympathetic trunk. This sympatihetic trunk is called the group of nerves. Horner’s syndrome is occurring due to interruption or disruption of the oculosympathetic nerve systems or pathway from brain to the face and eyes nerves etc.
Symptoms of the Horner syndrome
Mostly horner’s syndrome symptoms are (Ptosis, Miosis, Anhidrosis, Enophthlmos.)
- Decreased or constriction of the pupil size is called Miosis
- Drooping of the upper eyelid and it is called Ptosis
- Decreased sweating on affected side and it is called Anhidrosis or loss of facial sweating on the effected side with the lesion.
- Heterochromia iridum from birth or congenital
- Unilateral straight hair from the congenital
- Rare affects individual’s eye and face
- Symptoms of the bloodshot conjunctiva from congenital Horner’s syndrome.
- Horner syndrome condition can be due to permanently dilated pupil. This is called the anisocoria.
Causes Of Honer Syndrome
Honer syndrome causes by lesion anywhere or damage pathway of the sympathetic nervous systems.
Sympathic nervous system work in body is to regulates pulse rate (blood pressure), pupil size of eye and heat rate etc.
Nervous systems in our body work as a information tool. it receive and send informatons to our brain then we act according to it. whenever we touch any cold or warm thing then qukily we realised that this thing is cold or warm and then we acts according to it. Thus we can say that all the work of send and receive informations to our brain is done by our nervous systems and also that functions prepare you to fact any change in your enviroment etc.
Horner syndrom also effects on eyes color which can be heterochromia.
Stems from the another medical problems is
Spinal cord injury etc.
While In some cases no underlying cause can be found.
Thus we can understand that how important is sympathetic nervous system in our body and what happned when we have disorder in sympathetic nervous systems.
Likely the cases of 50,000 to 100,000 in the US with Horner’s Syndrome.
Causes Of Horner Syndrome On Children
Horner syndrome in children occur due to some resions these are
during delivery time can be injured to neck or shoulders of child
due to tumor of the hormonal and at neuroblastoma nerous systems
and due to the defect or effect of the aorta present in birh time.
Unknown Causes Of Horner Syndrome
There are also some unknown causes of horner syndrome this is known as the Idiopathic horner syndrome.
Horner Syndrome (acquired) Into 3 Groups Of Neurons
First, Second and Third order neuron system
First (1st) order neurons (central)
This neuron disorderd from hypothalamus throught of the midbrain brian to extends into the upper porttion of the spinal cord
- Disease causing a loss of myelin sheath due to horner syndrome
- Trauma at base (side of neck) of
- syringomyelia cavity in the spinal column etc.
second (2nd) order neutron (preganglionic) disorderd effect
This neurons disorderd occur from spinal column to upper position chest and the side of the neck.
Due to harnor syndrome can be in
- Due to harnor syndrome can be Lung cancer (Pancost tumor)
- Can be (Schwannoma) Tumor of the myelin sheath
- due to damage vessel of blood from heart (aorta)
- due to traumatic injury etc.
- Due to harnor syndrome can be surgery in the chest cavity
Third (3rd) order neutron (postganglionic) disorderd effect
It effect to eye iris of muscles, eyelids at the facial skin and along the side of the neck.
- harnor syndrome can damage carotid artery along the side of neck.
- Due to occur Migranes
- Due damage of neutron can be disorderd or damage in jugular vein along there side of neck
- Can be more headaches etc.
Partial Horner Syndrome
In case of third neuron disorder there is anhidrosis in middle of forehead or can be absent this is called partial Horner’s syndrome.
Pupil size decreased
Decreased or constriction eye pupil size (Miosis) from normal Eye is a symtoms or sign of Horne’s syndrome
we can see in this picture sign or symptoms of horne’s syndrome of effect in eye. we can see normal eyes have pupil size remain same But due to horner’s syndrome there one eye pupil size is different to other one eye, decresed pupil size. and also we can see In the picture that the eye size is also small compare to other one normal eye. Due to horner syndrome upper eye lid drop. These are the symptoms of horner’s syndrome. In the picture
How To Examine Horner Syndrome
- Due to Horner’s syndrome our pupils size of eye constrict or small or decrees from other one normal eye
- Make unequal in size of pupils
- When the light is switch off then eye which is in normal condition the pupil size is increase quickly but dialysis eye or effected eye by Horner syndrome of pupils size slowly increases but not compactly increases and lives small from comparison size of normal pupil of eye
- After when light is ON in after few seconds these eyes pupils come in original position but Horner syndrome effected of eye pupil size remains in small compare other one normal pupil size.
- Upper lid Eye dropping
- Small eye size compare to other one eye.
- Effected area by Horner syndrome is decreased sweating
- Effected side of neck by Horner syndrome, damage of neutron can be disorderd or damage in jugular vein along there side of neck can be decreased sweating etc.
Example of Horner’s syndrome
He has Horner’s syndrome condition
He is 56 years old a man. He have Horner syndrome condition in the Horner syndrome symptoms eye of pupil size become small in and also the eye size become smaller than other one eye their affected area by Horner syndrome decrees sweating and at neck sides swelling comes.
As we can see in this picture that a man have Horner syndrome condition due to Horner syndrome his right eye size small compare to other one eye and pupil size small compare to other one eye which is effected by Horner syndrome. This is medical problem we should consult a doctor.
She has Horner’s syndrome condition
He is 30 years old a girl. She has Horner syndrome condition. The homer syndrome symptoms pupil size become small and eye size become smaller than other one eye and effected area by Horner syndrome decrees sweating etc.
As we can see in this picture that she have Horner syndrome condition due to Horner syndrome his right eye size small compare to other one eye and pupil size small compare to other one eye and dropping upper eye lid which is effected by Horner syndrome. This is a medical problem we should consult a doctor.
She has Horner’s syndrome condition
He is 33 years old a lady. She has Horner syndrome condition, in this homer syndrome symptoms eye pupil size become small and eye size become smaller than other one eye and effected area by Horner syndrome decrees sweating, dropping upper eye lid and Effected side of neck by Horner syndrome Due to damage of neutron can be disorderd or damage in jugular vein along there side of neck can be decreased sweating etc.
As we can see in this picture above that she has Horner syndrome condition, due to Horner syndrome his left eye size is small compare to other one eye and pupil size is small compare to other one eye which is effected by Horner syndrome and we can see her left eye of upper lid is dropping, her neck sides is also effected by Horner syndrome. This is medical problem we should consult a doctor.